8 days | From £599 | Self-Guided, for 2 or more persons travelling together
- See the legendary Lorelei rock formation
- Walk along the Rhine through romantic countryside
- Visit dramatic castles and rural wine cellars
The 'Rheinsteig' is a fully way-marked trail following the course of the River Rhine upstream, through romantic countryside, famous for its castles, vineyards, culture, history, nature and landscapes. We've selected the best section, which follows the Rhine from the charming city of Koblenz to Rudesheim through an ever-changing landscape.
Dramatic castles perched high above the Rhine are frequent along the route. You also pass the world famous Lorelei, a dramatic rock formation where legend has it a siren would lure sailors to their doom. During the walking day, you can enjoy stops at various inns and rural wine cellars. Then spend your evenings in a wide variety of quality restaurants to sample the culinary delights the region is justifiably famous for.
See below for a map of the trip:
*map may not be to scale
- Day 1. Arrive Koblenz
- Depart UK. Arrive Frankfurt. Train to Koblenz.
- Day 2. Walk from Koblenz to Braubach
- Walking from Koblenz you head upstream initially along the Rhine and then into the idyllic Bienhorntal Valley, passing stunning villages and landscapes on the way to Braubach.
- Day 3. Walk to Kamp-Bornhofen
- Walk through the scenic Dinkelholder Valley and above the village of Osterpia through the forest and then down to the village of Filsen. A final section along to the village of Kamp-Bornhofen.
- Day 4. Walk to St.Goarshausen
- To St.Goarshausen on foot and view lots of castles and picturesque hills.
- Day 5. Walk to Kaub
- Continue through the district of Heide. Walking through the fields of Lesiefeld, the world famous Lorelei rock formation comes into view. From here the Rheinsteig ascends once more to the Rhine heights where there are delightful views over a palatinate before Kaub.
- Day 6. Walk to Lorch
- Heading up in the direction of Gutenfels Castle you enter a vineyard area and into the Volkenbachtal Valley. After another loop walk above Lorchausen you join a metalled road that leads you through vineyards to beneath the ruins of Nollig Castle. A short stroll then brings you to the village of Lorch.
- Day 7. Walk to Rudesheim
- Your journey along this section of the Rheinsteig is completed with your choice of either a cableway descent to Rudesheim, or a final 30 minute walk, where you will have earned your Rheinsteig pin and Rheinsteig certificate.
- Day 8. Depart Rudesheim
- Depart Rudesheim. Fly from Frankfurt. Arrive UK.
FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trip Grade: B - Moderate
- Duration: 8 days
- Trip Code: TRHE
- Max Altitude: Low (under 1,000m)
- Accomodation: Hotel x 7 nts
- Meals: 7 breakfasts included
- Departs: March until November
- overseas joining point: Koblenz
- important : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements