8 days | From £1150 | Guided Group, fixed departures
- Unique and exclusive to Walks Worldwide
- The majestic peaks of the High Tatras
- Walk through dramatic gorges
- A chance to see bears in the wild - not by waiting but by following their tracks and trails
This is a challenging walking holiday in a spectacular mountain area, with the opportunity to see bears. This amazing Carpathian walking and wildlife adventure is unique and exclusive to us. The trip does not involve sitting around in a bear hide all day hoping a bear might just come along - our aim is to actively locate and observe bears (from a safe distance of course) in their natural habitat.
Reaching the Silent Valley a park ranger will accompany us as we go 'off piste' and walk amongst the mountains in an area where tourists are usually forbidden. In cooperation with the local rangers and national park, the group size is limited to a maximum of eight to minimise disturbance to the natural habitat.
- Day 1. Arrive Poprad
- Depart UK. Arrive Poprad where you will be met and transferred to Hrabusice village. Enjoy an afternoon wildlife walk.
- Day 2. Walk in Slovak Paradise Park
- Head out after breakfast for a long walk through the stunning and dramatic gorges of Slovak Paradise Park.
- Day 3. Drive to the Western Tatras and trek up the Kamienista Valley
- Drive to the Western Tatras for a walk up Kamienista Valley, a track well-used by bears. You'll have good chances of seeing some of these magnificent animals eating the grass and berries that thrive on these open slopes.
- Day 4. Follow animal trails up the slopes of the isolated Silent Valley, scout for bears in the company of a park ranger
- Walk through areas forbidden to tourists with your Park Ranger. You will almost definitely see traces of bears here, scratching posts, dung and maybe footprints. Your target area is a large bowl where one of the most visible bears spends a lot of time. In addition you may see red deer and plenty of birds, including golden eagles.
- Day 5. Remain off tourist trails and hike through deep forests; head for Liptovske Kopy, a bear rich area
- Ascend through deep forest towards the Krisna peak, a favourite area for one of the collared bears. See marmots and red deers in an area that is also rich in bears. Descend to the Koprova valley and head back to the ranger cottage.
- Day 6. Drive to Spisska Sobota, a beautifully preserved Slovak village
- Walk to meet your vehicle and head to Spisska Sobota, a beautifully preserved example of a Slovak village on the outskirts of Poprad. Stay in a converted townhouse on the delightful square, which also has a church and is worth a visit.
- Day 7. A free day to explore Spisska Sobota; visit Poprad or Spis Castle
- Today is free for you to explore the town or take an optional excursion: visit the famous Spis Castle, some of the many caves in the area, the award-winning eco-water park complex or do some bird watching.
- Day 8. Depart Poprad
- Transfer from Spisska Sobota to Poprad International Airport for your flight back to the UK.
- TOUR GRADE: C (Demanding)
- DURATION: 8 DAYS
- TRIP CODE: TURS
- GROUP SIZE: 4-8(MAX)
- MAX ALTITUDE: 2,493m
- NIGHTS: Hotel x2, pension x2, ranger cottage x3
- MEALS: 7 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 evening meals inc
- DEPARTS: May, September