10 days | From £692 - Self-guided, for 2 or more persons travelling together
- Hundreds of friendly mountain villages
- Walk on age-old tracks and mule paths
- Rolling hillsides, olive groves, vineyards and panoramas
This walk is a magnificent trip through the finest areas of the Greek Island of Corfu. Following inland tracks and cobbled paths, the trail undulates through willow, cedar and juniper forest, alongside rivers and through lush pastures. Fine viewpoints of mountains and sea are a regular occurrence from the coastal tracks, ridges and when you summit Corfu's second highest peak, Agii Deka (576 metres). Historic sights you pass include monasteries, a Venetian salt works, manor houses and quayside tavernas, and there are ample opportunities for refreshing swims to cool down in the deep turquoise coloured Mediterranean Sea. At the start of the wilder mountain section in the North there is a stunning panorama from the ruined Taxiarchis Chapel with its beautiful fresco-covered walls. A limestone plateau is crossed, followed by the climb to the summit of Mount Pantokrator (915 metres). Towards the end you traverse over a high col from where you can see both the southern trail you have walked and further to the north. You descend to Kalami beach and then finish the walk along the undulating paths on the northern coast.
This walk is offered as a two-week holiday enabling you to complete the full trail, or as a ten-day holiday if you are looking for a shorter break to the paradise and peace of Greek island life. You will return home feeling refreshed, fit and relaxed after experiencing the charming walking on Corfu.
- Day 1. Arrive Corfu
- Depart UK. Arrive Corfu. Transfer to Santa Barbara.
- Day 2. Santa Barbara to Paramonas
- Your route leads on through sand dunes covered with a forest of juniper and cedar trees. Then, crossing a footbridge, you reach Lake Korission, where you are sure to see a variety of wild birds. Tracks and an undulating section of road take you to Paramonas.
- Day 3. Paramonas to Beintses Stavros
- A sharp climb early in the walk takes you over the ridge and inland to the villages of Ano and Kato Pavliana. Footpaths and tracks take you down through Vouniatades. After passing through Strongili, you head uphill again, using an old cobbled way to reach Komianata. A brief walk downhill, mainly on delightful footpaths, takes you to Benitses.
- Day 4. Benitses to Pelekas
- On the trail, a delightful footpath skirts Agii Deka Mountain, leading to Ano Garouna, from where you make a very sharp but brief ascent to the summit of Agii Deka, Corfu's second highest peak, as you make your way to Pelekas.
- Day 5. Pelekas to Liapades
- Passing the village of Vatos follow the bank at the Ropa River, bordered by pasture and willow trees. Leaving the river, you ascend into olive blanketed hills, where tracks lead you to Liapades.
- Day 6 Liapades to Agios Georgios
- Climbing hills and passing olive groves you'll make your way from Liapades to Agios Georgios with views described as the 'best in Europe'.
- Day 7. Ringini to Spartillas
- Your way is on tracks, which funnel you up a deep valley. Following a delightful cobbled path, you enter Sokraki, where the village square with its happy atmosphere insists you stop. Tracks and paths through wild and cultivated land take you on a gentle ascent to Spartillas.
- Day 8. Spartillas to Agios Spyridon and Kalami
- Today the real mountain territory beckons. Starting, you are soon on a steep mountain footpath climbing a gully to a fantastic viewpoint at Taxiarchis Chapel. Descending now on a mountain track with fine views, you reach the high col of the main ridge, where both the northern and southern sections of Corfu are visible. You then descend to Old Perithia. You reach the sea at Almiros and follow the beach to the wild, bare headland which is Corfu's northernmost point, where a rough path along a low cliff takes you to the end of the Trail at Saint Spiridon Beach. From here should then take a taxi to your accommodation in Kalami.
- Day 9. Mountain and N.E Coastal Circuit
- Today is almost a circular walk that starts and finishes in Kalami. Climbing quickly into the hills you then follow high mountain flanks past Porta and onto the semi-ruined Mengoulas.
- Day 10. Depart Corfu
- Transfer by taxi to the airport.
- FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trip grade: B/C - Moderate/demanding
- Duration: 10 days
- trip code: TCFE
- Max Altitude: Low (under 1,000m)
- Accommodation: Hotels, pensions and tavernas
- Meals: 9 breakfasts and 6 evening meals included
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Corfu airport
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements