16 days | From £1,199 | Guided Group Departures
- Treks in the fragrant Cardamom Hills
- Cruise the tropical lagoons of the backwaters
- Colourful temples of Madurai
- Stay on a traditional houseboat
- Smell traditional spices, coffee and tea
It's no surprise that this varied trek and tour is a favourite. Starting in Kochi it's easy to discover the many different cultural influences of "The Queen of the Arabian Seas". Moving to the magnificent mountains of the Western Ghats, the cool, fragrant mountain air delights the senses with the scents of spices, coffee and tea. Here you explore the lush forests, tranquil plantation trails and former British Hill Stations.
The high point of Meesapulimala is reached by crossing the Silent Valley plateau, before heading to the temple city of Madurai.
A visit to the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, home to elephants and tigers, is complemented with a relaxing trip to the lush tropical lagoons of the backwaters, staying on a traditional houseboat.
- Day 1
- Depart UK.
- Day 2
- Arrive Kochi. Rendezvous at group hotel.
- Day 3
- Visit Fort Cochin and explore the local area
- Day 4
- A walking exploration of Munnar.
- Day 5
- Head through tea plantations to the Silent Valley between Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Day 6
- Summit Meesapulimala (2,640m).
- Day 7
- Cross the plateau of the Western Ghats to Tamil Nadu; camp at 'Top Station'.
- Day 8
- Descend through plantations of coffee and cotton, then paddy fields and vast mango plantations to Mundane camp.
- Day 9
- Drive to Madurai and explore this amazing city of ornate, colourful temples.
- Day 10
- To Kerala; Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and walk the Spice Gardens of Kumily.
- Day 11
- A jungle walk through Periyar, home to herds of Indian Elephants.
- Day 12
- To Kumarakom; board houseboat.
- Day 13
- Transfer to Coir to experience rural Kerala.
- Day 14
- Return to Kochi. Afternoon at leisure.
- Day 15
- Depart Kochi.
- Day 16
- Arrive UK.
FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trip grade: B - Moderate
- Duration: 16 days
- Trip code: TKER
- GROUP SIZE : 4 - 12 (Max)
- Max Altitude: 2,640m
- Meals: 13 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 5 evening meals inc
- Accommodation: Hotels x 8, houseboat x 1, camping x 4.
- Departs: September until April
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Kochi
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements