19 days | From £2,249 | Guided Groups GUARANTEED departures
- A walking holiday to see the best of Patagonia
- Torres del Paine National Park
- Fitzroy and the legendary Cerro Torre
- Visit Tierra del Fuego
- Quality accommodation and guiding
All departures are guaranteed - contact us for availability before booking international travel.
An epic journey to the end of the earth! After a night in cosmopolitan Buenos Aires, the adventure starts at the gateway to Los Glaciares National Park - home to the magnificent Mount Fitzroy and the legendary Cerro Torre. Here you'll walk some of the best trails imaginable. The mountains seem superimposed as they rise dramatically from the flat lands.
You'll awake each day inspired. Perito Moreno glacier with its formidable ice formations is your next stop before the jaw-dropping scenery of Torres del Paine.
Daily hikes will take you up close to nature's amphitheatre of granite towers, twisted rock spires and deep blue lakes. Heading south you cross the Straits of Magellan to Tierra del Fuego for more trekking, offering sweeping views of the Andes and the Antarctic Ocean.
- This trip requires international flights to and from Buenos Aires, as well as domestic flights from Buenos Aires to El Calafate and back to Buenos Aires from Ushuaia. International flights from and back to the UK are to Buenos Aires International Airport. Domestic flights to El Calafate and from Ushuaia are from Buenos Aires Domestic Airport. Please be aware that domestic flight schedules within Argentina are frequently subject to change and often at very short notice. For this reason it is often necessary (and highly recommended) to allow for an overnight in Buenos Aires between international and onward domestic flights on both your outbound journey from the UK and your return journey back to the UK. We can arrange both your international and domestic flights for this adventure, as well as extra nights in Buenos Aires as necessary. PLEASE CONTACT US TO DISCUSS INTERNATIONAL AND DOMESTIC FLIGHT SCHEDULES FOR YOUR PREFERRED TRIP DATES.
- Day 1. Depart UK
- Depart the UK for your overnight flight to Buenos Aires
- Day 2. Arrive Buenos Aires, transfer to hotel
- Arrive in Buenos Aires and transfer to your hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure to relax and explore your surroundings.
- Day 3. Fly to El Calafate, transfer to hosteria
- Fly down to El Calafate, Patagonia, where you will be met and transferred to the group hotel. This evening there will be a briefing about the trip and a welcome dinner.
- Day 4. Across the Patagonian Steppe by bus to Laguna Capri
- Transfer by bus to El Chalten, through the Patagonian Steppe stopping en route for refreshments. The views as the bus skirts around Lago Argentina and Lago Viedma are superb. A colourful little town next to Mount Fitz Roy, El Chalten makes the perfect base for exploring Los Glaciares National Park. Upon arrival, the trek will begin by climbing out of the town along a beautiful trail above 'Las Vueltas' River with panoramic views down the valley. Finally you will arrive at your camp at Poincenot where you can enjoy mesmerising views of Mount Fitz Roy.
- Day 5. A tremendous day of trekking to view the great wall of Cerro Fitzroy
- From camp, the trail is gentle in its approach to the main body of the massif. Enjoy exquisite views of Fitz Roy and its surrounding sentinels. Passing through Rio Blanco campground and arrive on the edge of the moraine to a stunning vista to behold, as the great wall of Fitz Roy rises steeply from its glacier and the magical Laguna de los Tres. Named as one of the most beautiful mountains on earth, standing in this spot, you will appreciate why. This hike is one of the highlights of Los Glaciares National Park and in Argentina as a whole. Return to Laguna Capri to celebrate and watch the sun go down over the mighty 'El Chalten' (Fitz Roy).
- Day 6. Trek to Laguna Madre and join the Cerro Torres trail to El Chalten
- The trail merges onto the main route leading to Laguna Torre and the infamous Cerro Torre. This 'needle' of rock remains, even today, one of the world?s toughest climbing routes due to the mushroom of rime ice which forms on its summit, thanks to the phenomenal winds. Follow the Cerro Torre trail back to El Chalten.
- Day 7. Trek to Loma del Pliegue Tumbado
- Trek to the summit of Loma del Pliegue Tumbado, immediately south of the Cerro Torre Valley. Head up through the lower flanks of the mountain to emerge above the forests and find increasingly spectacular views. It?s a long, but relatively moderate angled climb to the summit on scree, and your efforts are rewarded with an outstanding panorama, looking over to peaks like Fitz Roy and Torre as well as the amazing glacier valley between them.
- Day 8. Morning at leisure in El Chalten, drive to El Calafate
- There is a free morning to explore the village, with the option of taking a walk on the Viedma Glacier, which involves the use of crampons. El Chalten is a great place for purchasing local artisan crafts or just taking in the climbing scene. The afternoon involves returning by public bus to the hustle and bustle of El Calafate. The evening is yours to enjoy one of the plentiful restaurants in town.
- Day 9. A full day to explore the magnificent Perito Moreno Glacier - watch crashing icebergs
- This whole day is dedicated to one of the world's natural wonders; the magnificent Perito Moreno Glacier. This ice-field type glacier flows down from the Patagonian ice field, a 22000 sqaure km sheet of ice making it the third largest glacier in the world after Antarctica and Greenland. Drive along the shores of Lago Argentina. Awaiting you is the mighty glacier whose huge icebergs will collapse into the lake - virtually guaranteed! Return to El Calafate.
- Day 10. Cross into Chile to Torres del Paine, stay at a scenic fixed camp at Las Torres
- Depart early morning from El Calafate to Torres del Paine National Park in Chile, through a spectacular landscape of the Patagonia steppe where choiques (rheas), guanaco and flamingos are very easy to see. From the border the landscape changes somewhat and becomes more green and luscious. Nearer to the park you can start to make out various famous points such as the towers and the horns (Los Cuernos) and also the incredibly dazzling turquoise Sarmiento and Nordenskjold Lakes. Pass through the park entrance before continuing on dirt roads to your campground.
- Day 11. Trek the Valle Ascencio to the foot of El Paine
- Start your trekking journey in Chile with the celebrated hike through the Valle Ascencio to the foot of the impressive granite massif of El Paine. Climb following the contours of the grassy and scree slopes of Mount Almirante Nieto. Once you have reached the top, sweeping views of the Ascencio River and valley open out before you and become your constant companion for the majority of the day. Climb through forest and then over large boulders to the Mirador Las Torres - the view is worth all the effort and is awe-inspiring. Admire the most classic view of the Paine Towers dropping sheer to the lake below. Retrace your steps to camp.
- Day 12. Catamaran across Lake Pehoe, trek along Lago Nordenskjold
- Drive to Pydeto and cross Lake Pehoe by catamaran to arrive at the Pehoe Refuge area. The track to Camp Italiano makes its way along the shores of the wild Lago Nordenskjo and then through undulating terrain to meet the River Frances and Camp Italiano. This is the day of the 'Cuernos' (the horns), which will stand steep and forboding before you all day. Follow the wild river upstream towards El Mirador Britanico for a further hour with magnificent broad views of the lake, glaciers and icefield and of Paine Grande. Trek from Camp Italiano to the Mirador slightly scrambling route up the boulders to the ridge and onto the Mirador for stupendous views across the valley. Descend on the same trail back to a different campsite near the Pehoe refuge and boat dock.
- Day 13. Trek to the Grey Glacier and onwards by boat and vehicle to Puerto Natales
- Hike up through the forest emerging onto rocky plateau to fantastic views of the lake. Emerge at the fantastically situated viewpoint looking along the lake to the Grey Glacier with its towering walls, which empties the giant South Patagonic ice field into the lake. After ample time to marvel at this glacier and a picnic lunch, hike back to your start point, board the catamaran and sail back across Lake Pehoe. Depart from Torres del Paine by road for the nearest township to the park, Puerto Natales.
- Day 14. To the end of the world! Drive south and then to Tierra del Fuego.
- Drive south and east to then board a ferry at Primera Angostura and sail to Tierra del Fuego. Transfer by bus further south to Rio Grande and onwards to a remote Estancia. Here you will enjoy a traditional barbecue with some of the most delicious meat on this planet.
- Day 15. Visit Lago Fagnano and then through the Tierra del Fuego National Park to Ushuaia
- Learn the workings of a remote sheep farm (the main business for the Patagonian Estancias) and meet genuine Patagonian gauchos working the Estancia lands. Visit expansive Fagnano Lake, also known as Cami Lake. The longest in the area, this lake is split between Argentine and Chilean Tierra del Fuego and onto Ushaia. In the afternoon travel through the Tierra del Fuego National Park where you can take a short hike.
- Day 16. Boat excursion through the Beagle Channel
- Take an exciting boat trip, which navigates the Beagle Channel in the afternoon, on the south shore of Tierra del Fuego Island, to see many species of marine mammals including a colony of sea lions and birds. The afternoon is free in the colourful city of Ushuaia. One locally available option would be to take the excursion to Estancia Harberton and its penguin colony.
- Day 17. Fly from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires
- Fly from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires for your flight back to the UK.
- Day 18. Overnight flight to UK
- Depart Buenos Aires for your flight back to the UK.
- Day 19. Arrive UK
- Arrive back in the UK.
FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trip grade: B/C - Moderate/Demanding
- Duration: 19 days
- Trip Code: TPAT
- group size: 4 - 15 (Max)
- max altitude: 2,847m
- Accommodation: Hotel x 4 nts, fixed camp x 6 nts, hosteria x 6 nts
- Meals: 16 breakfasts, 10 lunches and 9 evening meals included
- Departs: October until March
- Park Fees: Approx US$75 payable locally
- overseas joining point: Join in El Calafate, depart Ushuaia
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements