Gokyo Lakes and Everest Lodge Trek
21 days | From £1,429 | Guided Group Departures
A fantastic extended route to Everest Base Camp by taking on the challenge of crossing the Cho La. Enjoy iconic views of Everest and the turquoise blue glacial lakes as our experienced guides take you on one of the ultimate treks in Nepal.
21 days | From £1,429 | Guided Group Departures
- Take on the challenge of crossing the Cho La
- Experience the iconic Everest views from Gokyo Ri and Kala Pattar
- Admire the turquoise blue glacial lakes against the mountain backdrop
This challenging trek into the high Khumbu region of Nepal combines all the major highlights of the ever-popular Everest Base Camp trek, yet allows the experienced trekker to escape from the standard trail and explore a great deal further into this truly magnificent Himalayan mountain nirvana.
Trek to the glittering Gokyo lakes where an ascent of Gokyo Ri reveals simply superlative views of Everest and Makalu. After crossing the spectacular Cho La, you'll then climb Kala Pattar for more breathtaking views. Visit Everest Base Camp and then trek out past Tengboche Monastery, with great vistas of Ama Dablam en route. For regular hillwalkers who dream of trekking to Everest but want more, this has to be the definitive Everest trek.
- Day 1. Depart UK
- Depart the UK for your overnight flight to Kathmandu.
- Day 2. Arrive Kathmandu; transfer to hotel
- Arrive in Kathmandu and meet at the group hotel for a pre-trek briefing.
- Day 3. Fly to Lukla; trek with descent to Phakding
- Transfer to Kathmandu Airport for an exciting flight into the Himalaya. From Lukla your trek to Everest Base Camp begins, with a downhill walk to the village of Phakding.
- Day 4. Steep trail to reach Namche Bazaar
- Follow the Dudh Kosi River and ascent to the National Park entrance. Cross the river over suspension bridges and then ascend steeply to reach the Sherpa capital of Namche Bazaar. Beneath Namche you'll enjoy your first glimpse of Everest.
- Day 5. Acclimatisation day in Namche
- Today is a scheduled rest day to aid the acclimatisation process. Rest and explore the spectacular location of Namche, and you could also take a short walk up to the Everest Hotel for fantastic views of Ama Dablam.
- Day 6. Undulating trails through beautiful Rhododendron forests into the Gokyo forest
- Leaving Namche a stiff ascent leads to a crested ridge that affords majestic Himalayan views. Leave the standard Everest Basecamp trail and traverse the flanks of Khumbi Yul Lha over the Mong La. Pass through Rhododendron forests above the Dudh Kosi River and enjoy views of the iconic Ama Dablam as well as glimpses of Everest and Lhotse. Follow the course of the river further into the Gokyo Valley to reach the small village of Dole.
- Day 7. Cross a ridgeline beyond Luza Kharka to reach Machermo
- After following a reasonably level trail to reach the yak pastures of Lhabarma Karka, the trail continues to rise steadily. Cross the ridgeline beyond Luzu Kharka to see today's destination of Machermo.
- Day 8. Acclimatisation day (optional walks)
- Today is a rest day to aid the acclimatisation process. From Machermo there are some great walks, particularly following the ridge above the village to enjoy fine views of Cho Oyu and many striking Khumbu peaks.
- Day 9. Reach the first glittering lake and onto Gokyo
- Enjoy a scenic walk up to Pangla, and descend briefly to follow a stream formed by the melting waters of the Ngozumba Glacier. Climb to the side of the glacier and reach the first small lake, pass the lake of Taboche Tsho and continue on the trail running parallel to the glacier to reach emerald green Dudh Pokhari Lake where the tiny settlement of Gokyo lies.
- Day 10. Up early to summit Gokyo Ri
- Follow the zig-zagging trail to ascend Gokyo Ri, watching the mighty summits of Makalu, Lhotse and Everest come into view. Reach the top of Gokyo Ri to be rewarded with a magnificent Himalayan panorama, with the glittering lakes of Gokyo and beyond. After a quick descent the rest of the day can be spent at leisure.
- Day 11. Head across the glacier to Thaknak
- Trek back towards the first of the lakes on the way to Gokyo, descend onto and across the glacier. Then climb up off the glacier at the opposite side and walk the short distance to Thaknak, which lies at the foot of the narrow valley that leads to the Cho La.
- Day 12. The challenge of the Cho La, a long but exciting and rewarding day.
- Ascend steadily to reach a small lake beneath the Cho La. Cross an extensive boulder field to begin climbing, and reach the top of the Cho La for truly spectacular views looking down the valley and across the Chola Tsho. Descent to tiny Dzongla to spend the night.
- Day 13. Descend further from Dzongla, and rejoin the 'Everest Base Camp' trail to Lobuche
- Continue to descend from Dzongla and ultimately turn into the valley from which the Khumbu Glacier flows. Rejoin the main Everest trail after the settlement of Lobuche.
- Day 14. To Gorak Shep pass and then a return trek to Everest Base Camp
- Trek to Gorak Shep, cross the moraine crest and onto the Khumbu Glacier, before reaching Everest Base Camp. Enjoy the overwhelming achievement of reaching the Base Camp and take in close up views of the tumbling Khumbu Icefall, before returning to Gorak Shep via the same route.
- Day 15. Ascend Kalapatthar; enjoy the classic Everest viewpoint, descend the valley to Pheriche
- Start early for the ascent of Kalapatthar - it is the summit here that provides the 'classic' Everest viewpoint. Enjoy wonderful views all the way up as the sun rises and stay up here to absorb a moment that will stay with you forever. Then descent back to Gorak Shep and down the valley to Pheriche via Lobuche.
- Day 16. Great views of Kantaiga and Thamserku, descend to Namche Bazaar
- Trek out of the Khumbu to Lukla with an easy descent enjoying great views, in particular Kantaiga which will appear particularly impressive as it looms above Tengboche monastery. Continue to Namche Bazaar.
- Day 17. Follow rivers to Phakding, then up to Lukla
- After a sharp descent from Namche to the Dudh Khosi River, follow the river's course through the villages of Monjo and Phakding before ascending to Lukla.
- Day 18. Fly from Lukla to Kathmandu
- Take an exciting flight from Lukla to Kathmandu. The rest of the day is free to explore the beautiful old city.
- Day 19. Depart Kathmandu
- Depart Kathmandu for your overnight flight back to the UK.
- Day 20. Arrive UK
- Dependent upon flight schedules your flight will arrive back in the UK today.
FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trip grade: C/D - Demanding/Strenuous
- Duration: 21 days
- Trip code: TGOK
- GROUP SIZE : 4 - 12
- Max Altitude: 5,600m
- Meals: 2 breakfasts inc (allow approx £25 per day for meals)
- Accommodation: Hotel x 2, Trekking Lodges x 16
- Departs: September until May
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Kathmandu
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements