Everest Base Camp Lodge Trek
17 days | From £1,209 | Guided Group Departures
This has to be one of the ultimate trekking holidays for most walking enthusiasts. Trek in true expedition style with your experienced guides and sherpas as you ascend to the base camp of the world's highest mountain.
17 days | From £1,209 | Guided Group Departures
- Classic Everest views from Kala Patar
- Visit Everest Base Camp
- See the tumbling Khumbu Icefall
- Acclimatisation days whilst on trek
For most hill walkers the world over, the trek to Everest Base Camp is the holy grail. This is a once in a lifetime, ultimate trekking Mecca in the mighty Himalaya of Nepal.
Not only will you get to experience any 'goings on' at Everest Base Camp, and see the tumbling Khumbu Icefall that leads to the South Col, you'll also witness the sublime view of Everest from the summit of Kala Pattar.
Following in the footsteps of Hillary and Tenzing, the route to Everest Base Camp is now a well trekked trail and within the capabilities of regular, active hill walkers. From wonderful historic Kathmandu, a scenic flight takes you to the start of your trek through Sherpa country. After a physically challenging ascent, you will be rewarded with an unbeatable view from the roof of the world.
- Day 1. Overnight flight from UK
- Depart the UK for your overnight flight to Kathmandu.
- Day 2. Arrive Kathmandu, transfer to the group hotel.
- Arrive in Kathmandu and transfer to the group hotel in Kathmandu. In the evening there will be a pre-trek briefing.
- Day 3. Fly to Lukla; trek to Phakding
- Transfer back to Kathmandu Airport for an exciting flight into the Himalaya. From Lukla your trek to Everest Base Camp begins, with a downhill walk to the village of Phakding.
- Day 4. Steep climb to Namche Bazaar
- Follow the Dudh Kosi River and ascend to the National Park entrance. Cross the river over suspension bridges and then ascend steeply to reach the Sherpa capital of Namche Bazaar. Beneath Namche you'll enjoy your first glimpse of Everest.
- Day 5. Acclimatisation day in Namche Bazaar
- Today is a scheduled rest day to aid the acclimatisation process. Rest and explore the spectacular location of Namche, and you could also take a short walk up to the Everest Hotel for fantastic views of Ama Dablam.
- Day 6. Trek to Phortse Gaon
- Head out of Namche and up to a crested ridge that affords incredible Himalayan views and back down to Namche and the valley below. Pass the beautiful Sherpa settlement of Khumjung and descend to reach the river below. Enjoy spectacular views of Ama Dablam, Kantaiga as well as Everest and Lhotse.
- Day 7. Into the heart of Khumbu to the scenic village of Dingboche
- Trek right into the heart of the Khumbu to be rewarded with jaw-dropping mountain views and arrive at the village of Pangboche and the oldest monastery in the entire region. Continue upwards, passing Mani walls and contouring the valley to reach the scenic village of Dingboche.
- Day 8. Acclimatisation day (optional circuit trek to Chukung for views of Island Peak)
- Spend time resting and acclimatising before moving higher. You could take the short circuit trek to Chukung via the Imja valley - mnay people find this trek one of the highlights of the entire holiday with views towards Tibet, an alternative perspective of Ama Dablam and fantastic views of Island Peak.
- Day 9. Trek past the Everest Memorial and onto the Khumbu glacier to Lobuche
- Climb out of Dingboche before descending to Pheriche and then rising to the small settlement of Dugla. Pass a memorial to the Sherpas who lost their lives on Everest and reach Lobuche, where you can enjoy views of the menacing Lhotse ridge.
- Day 10. Reach your goal of Everest Base Camp; trek to Gorak Shep beneath Kala Pattar
- Trek over rough and rocky ground past the moraine crest and onto the Khumbu Glacier at Everest Base Camp. Spend time at this special location beneath the tumbling Khumbu Icefall before heading to Gorak Shep, a yak pasture at the foot of Kala Patar.
- Day 11. Climb Kala Pattar for classic views of mighty Everest, descend to Gorak Shep and then down valley to Pheriche
- Start early for the ascent of Kala Patar - it is the summit here that provides the 'classic' Everest viewpoint. Enjoy wonderful views all the way up as the sun rises and stay up here to absorb a moment that will stay with you forever. Then descent back to Gorak Shep and down the valley to Pheriche via Lobuche.
- Day 12. Trek back to Namche
- Trek out of the Khumbu to Lukla with an easy descent enjoying great views, in particular Kantaiga which will appear particularly impressive as it looms above Tengboche monastery.
- Day 13. Trek to Lukla
- A final day of trekking has a surprise as it's an ascent to reach Lukla. Here is a hive of activity and a chance to commemorate the end of your trek.
- Day 14. Fly back to Kathmandu
- Fly out of the Himalaya and back to Kathmandu. The rest of the afternoon is free to relax and explore.
- Day 15. Free day in Kathmandu
- Enjoy more time in this beautiful old city.
- Day 16. Departure
- Free to depart at any time.
- Day 17. Arrive back in the UK
- Dependent upon flight schedules your flight will arrive back in the UK today.
FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trip grade: C - Demanding
- Duration: 17 days
- Trip code: TEBC
- GROUP SIZE : 4 - 12
- Max altitude: 5,545m
- Accommodation: Kathmandu Hotel x 3, trekking lodges x 11
- Meals: 2 breakfasts inc (allow approx $25 per day for meals)
- Departs: September until May
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Kathmandu
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements