14 days | From £2,199 | Group guided departure
Myanmar (or Burma) is a time-warped treat and any walker will enjoy travelling back in time to this beautiful untouched land where technology practically goes amiss, horse and cart is still a popular mode of transport and temples stand as boldly in the countryside as the day they were built. Trek in remote villages, marvel at the temples of Bagan and walk to Inle Lake on a holiday that is out of this world.
14 days | From £2,199 | Group guided departure
- Trek through remote Burmese villages and scenic countryside
- Explore the beautiful Bagan temples by bicycle
- Ascend the Golden Rock
- Watch the sunset over the Irrawaddy River
For untouched countryside and savouring ancient temples without being crowded out by other tourists, now is the time to visit Myanmar. The country is still in its infancy of tourism and modernisation ebbs at a low, enabling you to really enjoy the delight of walking off the beaten track and taking in the true heart of this beautiful land.
Begin your trip exploring the markets of Yangon, before setting out on a bicycle ride like no other around the thousands of majestic temples in Bagan. You will then travel on to Mandalay for a short cruise on the serene Irrawaddy River. Visit a monastery and enjoy the unique experience of staying in a local house. A good proportion of the trekking days on this trip will be in the Inle Lake area and Keng Tong, taking you away from regular trails, through remote villages where you can interact with locals going about their daily rituals. You'll have a night back in Yangon before continuing your journey to the Golden Rock, where your walk will take in a magnificent sunset and sunrise.
Most days on this trip involve gentle walking, ranging between 2 to 7 hours in duration, at a steady pace. But please note the climate in Myanmar is humid, making the walking tougher.
- Day 1. Depart UK
- Day 2. Arrive Yangon
- Arrive Yangon and transfer to your hotel. Walking tour of the city. Watch the sunset at Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Day 3. Explore Bagan
- Today you will take a short flight to Bagan where you can explore the large Nyuang U Market before exploring just some of the 4000 temples by bicycle. Enjoy another beautiful sunset to finish your day, this time over the Irrawaddy River.
- Day 4. Bagan
- Bagan is such a wonderful place that we will spend another day here to explore the area further. We will visit some more of the temples and in the evening enjoy a sunset cruise on the Irrawaddy River.
- Day 5. Explore Mandalay
- Fly to Mandalay. Enjoy a cruise taking in the the Irrawaddy River to the quaint village of Mingun, famed for an unfinished pagoda that was split in half by an earthquake in the 1800s.
- Day 6. Explore Ava
- An interesting journey to Ava by ferry across the Myint Nge River and a trip by horse and cart. Visit the Bagaya Teak Monastery, the Sagaing Hills, the ancient capital Amarapure and finally the Ubein Bridge before returning to Mandalay.
- Day 7. To Heho
- Fly to Heho and continue by road to the former British hill station Kalaw. Visit long huts of the locals, see mountainside plantations and enjoy panoramic views of the Shan Mountains on today's trek. This evening is spent in Kalaw. (5 hours walking)
- Day 8. Village Trekking
- Walk through farms and villages inhabited by the Danu tribe, passing old monasteries and mountain streams. Time permitting, in the evening visit a community project with local children. (5 hours walking)
- Day 9. Trek to Inle Lake
- Today's trekking will take you past bamboo forests to a village on the western shore of Inle Lake where you will travel by boat to your hotel. (5 hours walking)
- Day 10. Visit Phaungdaw Oo Pagoda
- Visit the Phaungdaw Oo Pagoda, travel by boat to Nyaung Shwe and then fly to Keng Tong. Sightseeing of local sights. (3 hours walking)
- Day 11. Full day of walking
- A short drive to Pin Tauk, begin trekking in an area of mixed monsoon forest with views to the paddy fields below. (6 hours walking)
- Day 12. Fly to Yangon
- Today we return to Yangon. The rest of the day is at leisure.
- Day 13. Summit Golden Rock
- Drive to Kin Pun base camp via Bag, one of the richest archaeological sites in Myanmar. Walk to the summit of the Golden Rock, arriving for a stunning sunset. Spend the night in a mountain top hotel. (7 hours walking)
- Day 14. Morning stroll
- Morning stroll at sunrise before you make your descent and return to Yangon for your final night. (1 hours walking)
- Day 15. Depart Yangon
- Transfer to the airport for your departure flight.
FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trip grade: B/C - Moderate/demanding
- Trip code: TMBD
- GROUP SIZE : 4 - 12 (Max)
- Max Altitude: 2,000m
- Meals: 13 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 1 evening meal included
- Accommodation: Hotels x 12, Homestay x 1
- Departs: January, February, March, October and November
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Yangon International Airport
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements