8 days | From £593 - Self-guided, for 2 or more persons travelling together
- Delightful alpine meadows
- Splendid valley walks
- Longer walking days
- Enjoy tasty local cuisine
- Panoramic lakeshore scenery
This superb itinerary leads you between various traditional alpine villages, over mountain passes, across meadows and plateaux, and down to the panoramic lakeshore scenery the area is renowned for. Walking days are longer, allowing you to explore deeper into the mountains, yet invariably following way-marked trails.
A particular delight is encountering wonderful, remote mountain restaurants along the way, always scenically located and always with tasty food.
Charming accommodation in towns and villages along the route ensures overnight halts are a delight.
This is a great way to discover Austria's Lake District on foot and will appeal to those preferring scenic (but lengthier) walks to see more of this beautiful region.
- Day 1. Travel to Bad Ischl
- Depart UK. Arrive Bad Ischl.
- Day 2. Hike along the Elisabeth Forest Trail to Lake Attersee onto Weissenbach
- Trek through Elisabeth Forest Trail to Bergau at Lake Attersee and along the shore to Weissenbach.
- Day 3. Gorge trail to Mount Schafberg, Scharfling Pass to Abersee
- Starting at Burggrabenklamm follow the trail through the narrow gorge to Mount Schafberg. continue on the hiking path 17A between Attersee and Mondsee, pass the Scharfling pass and descend to St.Gilgen where you then follow the lakeside promenade to Abersee.
- Day 4. Boat across Lake Wolfgansee and walk to Strobl
- Ferry to St.Wolfgang. Option to take the cog railway to Mount Schafberg (1760m) . Walk from St Wolfgang to Berau and onto Strobl.
- Day 5. Trek to Bad Goisern
- Follow the Baerenpfad Trail from Strobl to Bad Goisern
- Day 6. Hike to Bad Aussee
- Walk along the valley floor from Bad Goisern along the Solewanderweg and then follow the lake shoreline to the exceptionally pretty village of Hallstatt. The route continues to the far end of the lake and onto Obertraun. Here you then head into the scenic Koppental Valley, ascending over the Koppen Pass to remain above the valley floor until a slight descent to Bad Aussee.
- Day 7. Final walk to Bad Ischl
- Leaving Bad Aussee the route follows the course of the river to Altausseer Traun, steadily rising to the village of Altaussee. You then head away from the village to walk between the mountains and over to the Rettenbach Valley which then descends steadily to Bad Ischl.
- Day 8. Depart Bad Ischl
- Depart Bad Ischl. Arrive UK.
FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trip grade: B/C - Moderate/demanding
- Duration: 8 days
- Trip code: TASP
- Max altitude: 1,400m
- Accommodation: hotels/inns x 7 nts
- Meals: 7 breakfasts included
- Departs: April until October
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Bad Ischl
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements