Atlas Traverse and Toubkal Climb
15 days | From £802 | Private guided departures
The ultimate in a Morocco trekking holiday. This traverse of the Atlas provides the chance to summit several of Morocco's best peaks, including Ouanoukrim, which affords fine views of Mt. Toubkal itself. A night at atmospheric Lake Ifni precedes our final ascent of Toubkal. This is Morocco trekking at its very best. To plan your Morocco trek contact one of our specialist trekking holiday consultants now.
15 days | From £802 | Private guided departures
Atlas Traverse and Toubkal Climb - private guided walking holiday in Morocco
- Climb Toubkal - the highest summit in North Africa
- Amazing Atlas circuit trek with option to climb other 4,000m peaks
- The high mountain Lake Ifni
A longer, more rewarding circuit trek that extends deeper and further into the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco and culminates in an ascent of Jebel Toubkal.
From vibrant Marrakech you'll journey into the heart of the Atlas and cross a series of classic mountain passes that take you well off the beaten track and away from the standard tourist trails. Along the way you'll discover incredibly remote and isolated traditional Berber villages. This mini-traverse of the Atlas affords the opportunity to ascend a couple of other 4,000m peaks too, including Ouanoukrim, with fine views of Toubkal itself. A night at the atmospheric, cobalt blue Lake Ifni, then it's over the final pass and onto the high point of the Toubkal ascent.
This exciting 15-day trip is High Atlas trekking at its very best.
Why not extend your holiday by adding one of our exciting Morocco Extensions to enhance your experience in this amazing country.
See below for a map of the trip:
*map may not be to scale
- Day 1. Depart UK, arrive Marrakech
- Arrive at Marrakech Menara Airport and meet at your hotel. Relax or explore the surrounding area.
- Day 2. In Marrakech, then drive to Imi Ourlad and trek to Imsker Village
- The morning is at your leisure to explore Marrakech. Then transfer into the High Atlas to the small Berber village of Imi Ourlad. Walk off the beaten track and into the Imenane Valley.
- Day 3. Trek into Imenane Valley; camp at Gliz
- Head part-way up the Imenane Valley and then ascend more steadily into the Assif n'Ougadir passing little villages along the way. Now off the main trekking routes you?ll be afforded your first insight into a more authentic High Atlas life.
- Day 4. Walk to Oukaimeden; optional trek
- Continue to ascend above Gliz and enjoy wide-reaching views of the High Atlas. Then descend steadily to Oukaimeden. In the afternoon there?s the option of ascending Oukaimeden Peak.
- Day 5. Trek via Tizi n'ou Attar to Labassene
- Ascend steadily up the valley to the settlement of Azib Tiferguine. Continue up to the pass known as Tizi n?ou Attar, where you can rest and enjoy great views. Then descend before beginning to traverse the flanks of Adrar Tissi and tonight?s overnight halt in Iabassene, high above the Ourika valley.
- Day 6. Trek to Tacheddirt; Africa's highest village
- Climb up to the Tizi-n-Tacheddirt. The mule-track you follow winds its way up, contouring around the mountainside and crossing small streams on the way. From here, if the weather is fine, you get your first view down towards Tacheddirt and the upper Imenane valley. The path then descends towards Tacheddirt.
- Day 7. Trek to Azib Likemt; off the beaten track
- Ascend to the Tizi Likemt and enjoy a rarely seen view perspective of the High Atlas and across to Toubkal. Then descend on a rough mountain trail to Azib Likempt.
- Day 8. Follow the valley system to Azib Ouraine
- Enjoy a more moderate trek, crossing the Tifni valley and then heading steadily up the side-valley of Assif n?Tinzer, following the course of a mountain stream. Head deeper into more remote parts of the High Atlas to reach Azib n?Ouraine. The afternoon is free to relax in this isolated location or walk up one the steep-sided surrounding peaks such as Adrar n?Dern.
- Day 9. Cross Tizi n'Ouariane and descend to Amsourzerte; pass villages
- Ascend to the Tizi n'Ouraine, from where you'll descend following a mule trail and a piste route to the village of Amsouzerte.
- Day 10. Follow a piste route and climb Lac D'Ifni
- Follow a dirt road up the Assif n?Islani, before climbing up a mountain trail for your first views of Lake Ifni. There are few mountain lakes in the High Atlas and it this that makes Lake Ifni special. Follow a narrow trail that skirts just above the lake shores and then drop down to take a picnic lunch in this special location. Continue across the lake moraine and rock strewn valley floor to make camp.
- Day 11. The back route to Toubkal Base Camp
- Cross a high pass immediately beneath Toubkal, which presents quite a challenging, but rewarding, day. From the pass descend to the head of the valley below and continue down to Toubkal Base Camp and the mountain refuge where you'll camp by.
- Day 12. Mount Toubkal ascent; great views
- Leave camp early to begin your ascent of North Africa's highest mountain. On clear days watch the High Atlas unfold all around, with the plains of Marrakech to the north and the mountains of the Jebel Sahro to the south. Then descend to camp.
- Day 13. Summit Ouanoukrim; descend to Aremd
- Climb Morocco's second summit of Ouanoukrim, separated from Toubkal by the Tizi n'Ouagane. If time allows, try for Ouanoukrim's two summits. Descend to Toubkal Base Camp and continue down the Ouagounss Valley to the village of Aremd.
- Day 14. Return to Marrakech; explore the city
- Transfer to Marrakech where the rest of the day is free to explore and hunt for souvenir in the souks and bazaars.
- Day 15. Depart Marrakech, arrive UK
- Depart Marrakech and fly back to the UK.
For a detailed itinerary and more information please click the 'Trip Dossier' tab above.
- Trip grade: C/D - Demanding/Strenuous
- Duration: 15 days
- trip code: TATT
- group size: Min 4, max 12
- Max altitude: 4,167m
- Accommodation: Hotel x 2 nts, gite x 1 nt, camping x 8 nights, trekking lodges x 2 nts, mountain huts x 1 nt
- Meals: 14 breakfasts, 12 lunches and 11 evening meals included
- Departs: May until October
- overseas joining point: Marrakech
- important: Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements