Atlas Traverse and Toubkal Climb
15 days | From £585 | Guided group departures
The ultimate in a Morocco trekking holiday. This traverse of the Atlas provides the chance to summit several of Morocco's best peaks, including Ouanoukrim, which affords fine views of Mt. Toubkal itself. A night at atmospheric Lake Ifni precedes our final ascent of Toubkal. This is Morocco trekking at its very best. To plan your 2014 or 2015 Morocco trek contact one of our specialist trekking holiday consultants now. Or to check availability, simply click the Dates & Prices tab below.
15 days | From £585 | Guided group departures
- Climb Toubkal - the highest in North Africa
- Amazing Atlas circuit trek with option to climb other 4000m peaks
- The high mountain Lake Ifni
A slightly longer Morocco trekking holiday exploring colourful Marrakech and then heading deep into the High Atlas Mountains, with the highlight of an ascent of Mount Toubkal, the highest peak in the Atlas. You'll discover classic mountain passes off the beaten track and discover remote and unspoilt traditional Berber villages. To plan your 2014 or 2015 Morocco walking trip, please contact one of our specialist trekking holiday consultants now.
This mini-traverse of the Atlas affords the opportunity to ascend a couple of other 4000m peaks too, including Ouanoukrim, which affords fine views of Toubkal itself. A night at the atmospheric, cobalt blue Lake Ifni precedes the final pass before the high point of an ascent of Toubkal.
Why not extend your holiday by adding one of our exciting Morocco Extensions to enhance your experience in this amazing country.
View Google Map in full size
- Day 1. Arrive Marrakech
- Rendezvous at our group hotel in Marrakech.
- Day 2. In Marrakech, then drive and trek to Imsker Village
- Morning at lesiure to explore Marrakech. In the afternoon transfer to Imi Ourlad and then trek to the village of Imsker.
- Day 3. Trek into Imenane Valley
- Heading up the Imenane Valley, our route now begins to ascend as we make camp at the small settelment of Gliz.
- Day 4. Walk to Oukaimeden
- From Gliz it's a short trek to the 'resort' of Oukaimeden. There's the option in the afternoon to make the stiff, but relatively brief ascent and descent of Oukaimaden peak, which affords outstanding mountain views.
- Day 5. Trek via Tizi n'ou Attar to Iabassene
- Our usual Toubkal Ascent route follows the piste road to the Tizi n'ou Addi, we'll be following an entirely different valley, beneath the northern flanks of mighty Angour as we cross the Tizi n'ou Attar, to then descend to Iabassene.
- Day 6. Trek to Tacheddirt
- Up and over the Tizi n'Tacheddirt to the village of the same name, reputedly north Africa's highest.
- Day 7. Trek to Azib Likemt
- Whilst most treks now head down valley, we'll take a complete detour and get right off the beaten track by following a rarely used trail that climbs steeply to the Tizi Likemt, followed by a sharp descent to Azib Likemt
- Day 8. Trek to Azib Ouraine
- A much easier day as we follow the valley system of the Assif n'Tinzer steadily up to Azib Ouraine. Surrounded by a 'bowl' of 3000m peaks, there's the option of climbing one in the afternoon if your legs allow.
- Day 9. Cross Tizi n'Ouariane and descend to Amsouurzerte
- We get our first views of Toubkal (and a rarely seen view it is too) as we cross the Tizi n'Ouariane and then descend to Amsouurzerte passing the shrine of Sidi Allebourga on the outskirts of the village.
- Day 10. Walk to Lac D'ifni
- Following a piste road we climb up to Lac D'ifni and it's sometimes impossibly cobalt blue waters. Surrounded by steep-sided scree covered mountain slopes this is an impressive location to take a picnic lunch. We cross the rock strewn moraine floor to make camp.
- Day 11. The back route to Toubkal Base Camp
- As we climb up to the Tizi n'Ouanaoumss we pass waterfalls and then gain height quickly to reach the pass beneath Toubkal West and descend to the refuge at "Toubkal Base Camp"
- Day 12. Mount Toubkal ascent
- Up and down Toubkal for stunning views across the entire Atlas and beyond to the Jebel Sahro, the plains of Marrakech and the distant Sahara if it's ultra clear.
- Day 13. Summit Ouanoukrim; descend to Aremd
- Marginally lower, but a great climb to the summit of Ouanoukrim, with equally great views including across to Toubkal. Descend back to "Toubkal Base Camp" and down valley to Aremd.
- Day 14. Return to Marrakech
- Morning transfer to Marrakech with the afternoon and evening free for exploration of this the Imperial, Ochre City.
- Day 15. Tour ends Marrakech
- Depart Marrakech.
For a detailed itinerary and more information please click the 'Trip Dossier' tab above.
- Tour grade: C/D - Demanding to Strenuous. Maximum altitude 4167m
- tour code: TATT
- group size: Min 4, max 12
- overseas joining point: Marrakech
- important: Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements
- What is included: Accommodation, most meals, Berber guide, mule support, transfers (except airport transfers)
- Accommodation: Hotel 2 nts, gite 1 nt, camping 8 nights, trekking lodges 2 nts, mountain huts 1 nt